Thursday, February 11, 2010

Accountability...

Mileage count for last week: A whopping 12.5! WOO HOO! How did I get there? Let me tell you, because all of those miles weren't a walk in the park to say the least (literally) . Saturday, I ran 3.5 miles, into the wind, pushing the BOB-- with Averie in it. I might as well have been running with a parachute on. That was a TOUGH run. Seriously. But- the bonus was that I felt pretty good after I was done. Bonus to the bonus (hi Jenna!)- I read in one of my parenting magazines that pushing the stroller while exercising burns 20% more calories. So... worth the miles of misery? Yes.

That left 1.5 miles for Sunday. Superbowl Sunday. Could I do it?? Sure I could... with the help of my dad, I blew that 1.5 miles out of the water! We went for a pregame 4 miler... with Averie and the BOB (yes, he pushed...)! It was a BEAUTIFUL day, the kind of day that makes it easy to run... when you have the right company. :) The best part of running on a day like Superbowl Sunday... being able to eat without guilt, which we did.

Which brings me to this week, and my lack of blog posting. I am currently experiencing a bit of an Internet connectivity hiccup... so I'm playing catch up here. But, aside from being completely annoyed while answering all emails on my Blackberry, I'm finding that writing this blog has been keeping me accountable... to myself... and to the two or three of you who may be reading it. In reflection, this blog is serving two purposes for me:

1. A running journal. I used to do this when I was training for my first marathon. It was so gratifying to see the mileage total at the end of a week. Read about my good runs... and my bad... and know that if I skipped a day, or didn't meet my weekly mileage that there was record of it. Inadvertently, this has become that.

2. A creative outlet/ mileage booster. For me, thinking about what I'll write while I run has become a way to pass the time, and therefore it's been helping me to meet my weekly mileage goals. I'm setting them, you're reading them... someone might just ask if I've made 10 miles this week... or what else I'm challenging myself to do... or something.

So this week... Tuesday afternoon: 2.5 miles. That leaves 7.5 for this weekend. It's supposed to be beautiful. Rob and I are planning to run tomorrow morning... our first run with our two babies and the BEAST (a monster of a stroller... the double BOB!!). I'll be calling to get a new Internet provider tomorrow as well, so hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll be back in business.

Motivated to run through writing, who would have ever thought that's how it would work out?

Goal for this week... 10 miles and a new Internet provider... wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I don't even run (yet) and I love reading about your thoughts...your progress...your goals and your accomplishments. It is really inspiring...and someday...who knows...maybe I'll be joining you for a...dare I say...run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonus to the bonus to the bonus - At least you're not running in sub zero New York.

    ReplyDelete