Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bottom line-

I need a cup of coffee before I go for a run. Seriously. These early morning runs before Rob goes to work- while good for the weekly mileage- are really rough on my morale. Mostly because I haven't been getting up early enough to have a cup of coffee before I go, so I haven't had enough fuel to get me through, so they haven't been good runs. Lesson: go to bed early... get up early... have coffee before you run.

The thing is, I should know this about myself. I'm not one of those girls who can skip a meal or exercise and not eat, I must have food. I need to keep my blood sugar in "functional" mode, or else the beast comes out. She is not nice. She does not have patience, for herself or for others. She does not go far... literally. I did not blog about Tuesday morning's 2 miler because I really didn't have many nice things to say. I was tired, I was stiff, I was WAY over dressed, and I only went two miles. EERGH. So, I went with the old adage, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Well, here I am. It's Thursday, I got in 3 miles this morning and it wasn't much better, aside from not being over dressed today, the rest was the same. I was about half way done and I could feel myself going from ok to needing food-- NOW. I started getting irritated at the drivers who rolled the stop sign... and it's not like I was waiting to cross- I was 100 yards away. I started getting irritated at the amount of DOG POOP on the SIDEWALK-- come on people of West Sac, pick up after your dogs! And though all of that, all I could think was that I should have just waited the extra 10 minutes, had a little coffee and shot for 2 instead of 3 miles. Why didn't I do that?? I know why, I was thinking that if I got in 3 today I'd have 3 days to get in 5... lessen the pressure on myself knowing that another storm is on the way in. Well... I logged the miles... I just hope they were worth it.

ENOUGH WHINING. I just read what I've been writing. Please, tell me to shut up! The miles were worth it. The run, though not great, wasn't HORRIBLE. There is a lesson here... So, now I know. I knew before too, but it's fresh in my head. The bottom line is that I need a little something before I go-- even if it's just a cup of coffee. I'm a much happier runner when I take a little time to prepare myself, I feel better and I go farther. I think next week's goals will have something to do with bedtimes... it all seems to be interrelated... hummmmmmm. Something to think on.

2 comments:

  1. Blood sugar beast must run in the family...I am AWFUL when I don't eat. So bad that I keep snacks in my purse...nuts, dried fruit, granola bars....something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm with ya on the bedtime thing. I was up last night until 12:30am and see me now? Sitting at the computer? Not running. I'll get up and run in a minute but I really need to hit an EARLY AM habit or this won't be sustainable when I start working again.

    ReplyDelete