Monday, February 22, 2010

Back on track (trail or road...)

Literally and figuratively, I guess. We're linked in again, a necessity for those who chose to blog, especially when one doesn't want to pay the $3.99 fee Starbucks charges to tap into the internet waves there. So, obstacle one: status overcome.

Now, for obstacle two, the motivation to run my miles. This has been a rocky road (pun totally intended... yes, I'm that corny) over the past two weeks. Like I mentioned last post, this blog-- somehow-- has kept me accountable in my running. Knowing that I have that goal of 10 miles per week, out there... somewhere in cyberspace... to be viewed by roaming eyes... has kept me thinking that someone might actually care if I don't make my goal. So, against all odds, I made my 10 miles (actually 11) with a great 4 mile run with my dad on Valentine's Day. What started out as a slow week, miles wise, ended great with a weekend full of running in the sun and enjoying it.

And then there was last week and the realization that, even though I can breeze through 4 miles now, I AM NOT IN SHAPE. Seriously. After that great run with my dad on Valentine's Day, my legs were tired, so I took Monday off as a rest day. I usually have 3-4 "rest" days per week anyway, so tired legs were a great reason to take it easy on Monday. Tuesday I thought about running, but was still milking my 4 miler on Sunday for another "day off." By Wednesday, however, I was thinking that maybe I should get moving, I mean my rear isn't going to fit itself back into my skinny jeans, right? Since I took Averie to day care that day, and Evan was taking an unusually long nap, I decided to get out one of my favorite work out videos... Cindy Crawford's New Dimension. A little history here... I had this work out originally on VHS- and wore it out. I acquired it sometime in college and have done it ever since, even though it is a post-baby-get-back-in-shape workout... whatever, details. So, now I have it on DVD-- after a long, hard hunt on Amazon. Pre-babies, I did this workout A LOT and Rob thinks it's hilarious that now that I've had babies I never do it... to which my response is, "before I had babies I had time to do this stupid workout....." Anyway, back to my story. Wednesday, since I had the time, I popped Cindy into the DVD player and got going with my chair, my deck of cards, and my 3 lb. weights. I made it through the upper body, cardio, lunges, and even the push-ups... but only got through about 1/2 of the ab workout before I could feel my scar burning. Seriously... it's been nearly 18 weeks since Evan was born... I've been running 10 miles a week for the past month and a half... I thought I was in shape... WRONG.

The 3 full days of soreness afterward only rubbed it in... I waddled just about every where I went thanks to all of the lunges and squats. I couldn't lift Averie without feeling every muscle in my upper body HATE me for Wednesday's workout, and oh... my abs. Coughing- ouch. Laughing- ouch, ouch. Sitting up in bed to feed Evan in the middle of the night- ouch, ouch, OUCH. I am not in shape.

By Friday, I was up for a run, 3 miles that actually made me feel better and less sore than when I started (yay!). And Saturday, another amazing 4 miles on the trail with my dad. I tell you what, running with my dad is really great. I just enjoy it. I love chatting as we run along. I love the bits of advice he gives as we head out or back. I love that he listens to my issues (I don't think most girls have that with their dads and I know I'm lucky). Sunday, "rest" day. Total mile count for last week: 7.1.

So, I may not have gotten in my 10 miles last week, but I did Cindy... and oye. Goals for this week include:
1. Back up to 10 miles
2. Do Cindy once... maybe
3. Increase my water consumption

I'll update along the way so I don't have to do massive blogs. I'm finding that I don't get to use all of the catchy titles I think of when I'm running when I only post once per week... :)

2 comments:

  1. There you are! I was just wondering where you'd been...

    Love to hear your running stories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am cracking up right now! I have that Cindy Crawford video too. It's VHS and I would be tragically disappointed if it went kaput on me. I started using it when my daughter was three... she's ten now and I still use it. Hey, they never said how long after a baby... lol.

    I'm glad you got your miles in this week. It feels so good to reach those goals, doesn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete